Cottage Cheese Strawberry "Ice Cream" (Sugar Free)
Similar to the cottage cheese parfait recipe that I posted earlier, this is not so much a recipe as it was a kitchen experiment. I've made "nice cream" with bananas for many years, but I wanted a healthier frozen dessert option that also incorporated more protein. I was very excited when this actually worked!
Approx. 2 cups ripe strawberries
2 cups cottage cheese (I used Muuna 4% cottage cheese)
Monkfruit powdered sweetener, to taste
1. Puree strawberries and cottage cheese in a high-speed blender until completely smooth. Add a splash of liquid (milk or milk alternative) if the consistency is too thick to blend.
2. Once blended, add monkfruit powdered sweetener to taste. Go slow -- monkfruit sweetener is twice as sweet as sugar, so only a small amount is needed!
3. Pour strawberry cottage cheese mixture into a large, shallow container that can be frozen (I used a shallow, square, glass food storage container). Place in freezer and allow to freeze at least several hours, if not longer -- you want it to be completely set.
4. When ready to serve, remove from freezer and allow to soften for several minutes. The water content in the strawberries will cause it to be very hard upon first removing it from freezer, but it turned into a creamy sorbet consistency after I let it sit on the counter for about 5-10 minutes.
5. Remove from container using an ice cream scoop; top with sprinkles or other toppings as desired.